Monday, May 11, 2009

Enchiladas


Mmmmm Cinco de Mayo... the one day a year I can make mexican food and Matt cannot complain. I just tell him to kick back with some mexican beer and eat whatever I make. My parents recently went on a trip to New Mexico and brought back a packet of enchilada sauce mix and it sounded delicious....... so I made a New Mexico style enchilada dish. This is not your rolled up variety. My sorority big sister LeighAnn made this style a lot, but I am sure hers are a lot better. By the way... the enchilada sauce was so friggin hot... wow. So I am just going to recommend using something else.

New Mexico Style Enchiladas
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
-6 small soft taco sized tortillas (corn is best, but I like flour)
-Oil
-Pre-made red enchilada sauce (1 can should be fine)
-1/2 pound ground beef
-1/2 onion, diced
-Shredded mexican blend cheese
-Fried egg or sour cream to top it (optional)

1. In a small pan, heat up a little veggie oil. One at a time, place a tortilla in for about 30-60 seconds and flip it over and repeat. You want it lightly fried but not super crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

2. In another pan, cook the beef and onion together until done. Drain the grease.

3. In yet another pan, heat up the enchilada sauce. You can get fancy and make your own, but canned will suffice if you are feeling lazy.

4. Place one tortilla on a plate and top with a little meat and a little cheese and a little sauce. Layer again with a tortilla then meat, cheese & sauce. Repeat once more. Traditionally, it is topped with a fried egg, but I don't like those so I used sour cream. Make a second stack on another plate. Serve with rice and/or beans. Yum.

1 comment:

Etepay said...

Enchiladas!!!! fried egg on top, definately. lol.


Oh the memories.

Yours looks easier to make though, I will have to try that.