Tuesday, March 24, 2009
+3 cups dry penne pasta
+1 12 oz can evaporated milk (yes, I had this 'on hand')
+1/2 cup chicken broth
+2 tablespoons butter
+2 tablespoons flour
+2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
+1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
+salt & pepper
+4 oz. cubed pepper jack cheese
+4 oz. cubed cheddar cheese (I think I had medium laying around)
+2 teaspoons chili powder
+2 teaspoons cumin
+1/2 cup salsa
+1/2 can chopped green chilies
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add salt and pasta. Cook per the package and drain, set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Microwave the milk and chicken broth in a 2-cup or larger Pyrex measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy (not boiling). Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add in mustard, Parmesan, cubes cheeses, spices, salsa, and chiles.
3. Add drained pasta to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat.
4. Dump everything into a casserole dish (like 9x13) and sprinkle just a little shredded cheese on top (optional.. just for looks). Pop in the oven for like 5 minutes, then set to broil for 3-5 minutes. WATCH IT. Broil unil it is browned and as crunchy as you like it. If you walk away, you will burn it and be very mad.
5. Serve with a green veggie or some fruit. Yum.