Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Revolutionary Mac & Cheese


This one was circulating around Pinterest and I wanted to try it.  I don't know about revolutionary, but it is good and way simpler than the 12 step baked counterparts.  Matt wasn't a huge fan, but I liked it.  I definitely had to add more milk than it called for, possibly because I used small shell shaped pasta?  I definitely added a healthy pinch of black pepper and cayenne.  I served this with roasted veggies.

Revolutionary Mac & Cheese
Serves:  three 1 cup servings
Calories:  Approx. 375-400 per serving

2 cups dried pasta  (I used small shells)
2+ cups 2% or skim milk  (I used 1%)
1 cup loosely packed shredded cheddar cheese  (I used Kraft's triple cheddar with philly)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dijon mustard
(I added about 1 tsp each of black pepper and cayenne)

In a small saucepan, add pasta and milk.  Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, until pasta is soft, stirring frequently and ensuring milk does not boil.

Turn heat off, add cheese & salt & and stir to combine.  Stir in the mustard a little at a time to taste. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes, then stir again and serve. If not creamy enough, add milk a little at a time, and gently stir.

If you would like to bake it at this point, place in a baking dish and top with a generous sprinkling of cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 10 minutes until cheese has melted.

As a side dish this makes enough for 4 people with no leftovers (can easily be doubled).

No comments: