I got this idea from the fabulous Bakerella http://bakerella.blogspot.com/ You could spend all day looking at all the amazing things on her blog. She is really talented. These little cupcakes were really easy once I got the hang of it, but wow what an undertaking without any helpers! It literally took me all day to do this plus the night before to bake the cake. Apparently Bakerella visted one other fabulous blogger The Pioneer Woman, which is actually where I found the recipe. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/quick-and-easy-cupcake-bites/ These have more of a chocolate covered truffle taste than cake because the cake and frosting combine completely. They are very sweet, very adorable, and quite a lot of work. Try them... if you dare!
1. Bake a box cake according to the directions, 9x13 works fine. I used confetti cake and devils food cake. Red velvet is also recommended.
2. When cake is cool, crumble into a bowl. Mix in about 3/4 can of frosting (cream cheese is recommended). You want the cake to stick together when smooshed.
3. Roll cake into small balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. I used a small cookie scoop to gauge the size. They need to fit into your candy mold. Refrigerate for several hours.
4. In a small bowl, melt some chocolate brown Wilton candy melts. Microwave for 30 seconds stir, repeat one or two more times as necessary. You don't want to overheat the chocolate. Take a candy mold (the ones that look like Reese's PB cups) and fill half of them with the chocolate halfway. Press a cake ball in and rock it slightly to make sure the chocolate slides up the mold to the top edge all the way around. Repeat with remaining cups. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until cooled. I recommend getting AT LEAST 2 trays of mold ($2 each), 3-4 is even better.
5. Melt the colored chocolate (directions in my chocolate pretzel entry), about a half bag will work. Carefully pop out each cake ball cup and dip into the chocolate. Press down until the colored chocolate barely touches the brown chocolate cup. Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Place an M&M on top and some sprinkles. Repeat... over and over and over and over (about 50+ times). Put back in the refrigerator to cool completely.
6. Take a nap. You will need one.